Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Fire Lord's Lover by Kathryne Kennedy

As my readers know, I'm not one to read much romance. Some, but not a steady diet. However, this book caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. I'm actually glad that I did.

The plotting was slightly better than the average romance. Certainly nothing that will win an award, but kudos to the author for keeping me turning the pages.

Unfortunately the character development was exactly what I expected. In other words, there wasn't much, if any. The only one who showed any development was Dominic and I can't say that his change was all that unexpected.

Despite average plotting and substandard character development, I still manged to enjoy the setting of the book a great deal. I have to say the author is adept at world building. She took what the reader already knows about England's history and weaves it with the legend of the elves to make a world that feels both comfortable and exotic at the same time.

Surprisingly, I would recommend this book. I enjoyed the book and read it in just two sittings because, frankly, I couldn't put it down. Obviously, faults and all, the book appealed to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment